I had to try something new; this is it! It’s very very nice and the combination just verbs perfect!
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 dl olive oil
- 4 slices of eggplant
- flour, spread on a plate for dredging
- bread crumbs, spread on a plate
- 4 veal scaloppine, cut from the top round, thinly sliced and pounded
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 dl sherry wine
- 1 dl chicken broth
- 2 dl Marinara Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lightly beat the eggs in a deep dish, using a fork or a whisk.
- Heat 1 dl of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over high heat. Dredge slices of eggplant in flour, then dip in the egg coating both sides. Turn the eggplant in the bread crumbs pressing firmly on each side. Place eggplant in oil and cook until browned on both sides. Remove eggplant and place on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (175 C)
- Heat remaining 1 dl of olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Dredge both sides of the scaloppine in flour, shake off excess flour, then place into the pan. Saute the veal until lightly browned on both sides, drain oil and return to heat.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter. On each slice of veal place one slice of prosciutto, one slice of eggplant, a little marinara sauce, then one slice of mozzarella.
- Add sherry wine and broth, then place a drop of marinara on top of each slice of mozzarella, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes then place pan in oven.
- Cook in oven until the mozzarella is melted.
- Remove pan from the oven and transfer the scaloppine to a warm plate.
If the juices in the pan are thin and runny, turn the heat up to high and reduce them, scraping loose with a wooden spoon any cooking residue from the bottom and sides of the pan, until it has the density of sauce. Pour sauce over scaloppine and serve.